Our firm does not handle divorce matters where we wear an attorney hat and represent one party in a conflict. However, we offer mediation to help conflicted parties reach an agreement and seek resolution of conflict. Mediation is an alternative to battling it out in the courts. You can learn more about mediation here. Mr. Louie has been trained in Christian Conciliation, an alternative dispute resolution process that seeks to help parties get unstuck in conflict.

During mediation, which requires willing participants, Mr. Louie can help you work on either a separation agreement or reconciliation agreement. A separation agreement is a legally binding document where a husband and wife agree on issues such as spousal support, child support, child custody, and equitable division of assets. In an uncontested divorce, a separation agreement is attached to the complaint to let the judge know that the divorce is truly uncontested and can proceed on the faster docket. We do not handle uncontested divorces in court but can refer you to an attorney in Virginia that we trust for such matters.

  • If you have no minor children, you can get an uncontested divorce after living separate and apart without cohabitation for six months, if you have a separation agreement.
  • If there are children of the marriage, you must live separate and apart without cohabitation for one year to qualify for an uncontested divorce. A separation agreement is not required, but you must not have any contested issues which need to be litigated, such as spousal or child support, child custody or division of property. It is often helpful to have a separation agreement to show agreement on the issues.

A reconciliation agreement is another type of agreement where the parties sit down and discuss a plan on how to save a marriage. If you are interested in Christian Conciliation, which involves conflict coaching and mediation, please email [email protected] for a free consultation.

Recent Posts